If eggs and toast are the ideal components of an enjoyable breakfast for you, then Cheesy Masala French Toast will become one of your favourite ways to partake of the most important meal of the day.
Basically Cheesy Masala French Toast is just what it sounds like – a savoury and spicy desi version of the traditional sweet French toast. It is an ingenious take on the enduring breakfast classic and is fairly simple and also quick to make if you do the little prep work required a bit in advance.
If you get your cheese grated and your vegetables chopped beforehand, by the time you are ready to actually prepare breakfast, your Cheesy Masala French Toast will take just a couple of minutes to put together.
After going through some great recipes for Masala French Toast on Pinterest, particularly the one by Archana’s Kitchen, I added my own tiny little twist to it by making it a cheesy one because I believe that eggs and cheese are one of those delicious culinary matches made in food heaven.
Masala French Toast is epic enough as it is. But for a cheese fiend like me, grated cheddar in and on it takes things to the next level.
This is obviously a great breakfast and brunch idea and like many of my breakfast favourites, I also love Cheesy Masala French Toast as an occasional breakfast for dinner option too.
This Cheesy Masala French Toast recipe is more or less a guide and the kind of recipe that you make your own by adjusting the spices and flavourings according to your palette. How many toasts you get out of it depends on the size of the eggs and on how big or small the bread slices you use are. Definitely add black pepper before serving and use the red chilli flakes only if you want an extra fiery kick to your savoury French toast.
Cheesy Masala French Toast
Recipe Type: Breakfast & Brunch Author: Alice In Eatland
Prep Time: 10 Minutes Cook Time: 10 Minutes Total Time: 20 Minutes
Serves: 1 – 2
A savoury and spicy desi take on the classic sweet French Toast, this Cheesy Masala French Toast will become a breakfast favourite once you try it!
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped spring onion or regular onion
- 1 large tomato, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 – 2 green chillies, seeded and finely chopped
- Oil for frying
- 2 eggs
- 4 tablespoons milk
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
- 2 – 4 tablespoons grated Cheddar cheese
- 2 – 4 slices of bread
- Finely chopped fresh coriander leaves to garnish
- Extra grated Cheddar cheese for topping
- Freshly milled black pepper
- Red chilli flakes
1. Combine the chopped onion, tomato and green chillies together.
2. Heat the oil in a non-stick frying pan.
3. Beat the eggs with the milk, salt, turmeric, red chilli powder and grated cheese.
4. Keep in mind that you want the flavours of this egg and milk mixture to be a bit pronounced. If it is not a little strongly spiced, it might make your finished toast taste a tad bland.
5. Dip the bread slices on both sides with the egg mixture and place into the hot frying pan over medium heat.
6. Spread the top of the bread slices with the chopped mixed vegetable mixture and pour a few teaspoons of egg mixture from the mixing bowl onto the vegetables to coat them as evenly as possible.
7. When the bottoms of the toasts seem golden, flip them carefully and quickly onto the other side and cook until golden.
8. Remove to a serving plate and sprinkle a little extra grated cheese, extra coriander, freshly milled black pepper and chilli flakes, if using.
9. Serve with strong hot tea.